Re: cdrtools-2.01a37 ready

>>> come up with suggestions how to force SuSE to follow the GPL again.
>>> Jörg
>>How about providing operational binaries for
>>SuSE users at the cdrtools download site ?
>
> ... just check:
>
>        ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

I meant vanilla  cdrecord  for CD.

As produced by compiling the official cdrtools source
tar balls on an official SuSE system (with a little
help by the compiling SuSE user).
100 % GPL by refering to the source archive.
Documenting any changes which became inavoidable
and have been authorized by you, of course.

No DVD, no special license, just a service for people
who have difficulties compiling but want to work with
the original thing and not a hack.

Volker >
> I would have provided cdrecord packages, alas I never had problems with
the SuSE-supplied ones, therefore no point spending time on it.

The binary (with DVD patch, disclaimer and all) which i
found after system installation did not work setuid root.
Since that method is advised by the man who must know,
i will not advise my users to do it different.
Thus, the SuSE 9.0 "cdrecord" has to be replaced after
system installation or the users need to become superuser
to backup their data.
Really not my kind of usage model.

I would be glad to point to a link on the cdrtools site where
an original cdrecord binary could be obtained.
I will not publish my own binary without Joerg's permission,
because it is not from 100% original sources and i will not
start another surplus fork of cdrecord (even if it's only
about one  #define HZ 100  to make it compile).