Re: Linux 2.6.8.1 requires changes to cdrecord (and probably every other CD/DVD writing app)

On 2004-08-17 Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> From: Andreas Metzler <ametzler@logic.univie.ac.at>
[...]
> >Linux(iirc since 2.2) supports a finer grained permission model than
> >switching UID, POSIX capabilities[1]. Instead of "switching to/from
> >root bracketing each SCSI command" you'd simply retain the necessary
> >capability, CAP_SYS_RAWIO.
[...]
> >[1] It is not part of IEEE Std 1003.1. I gather from
> >http://wt.xpilot.org/publications/posix.1e/ that the gremium has given
> >up on standardizing it.

> I don't see anything but ACLs here.
[...]

http://wt.xpilot.org/publications/posix.1e/download.html
http://wt.xpilot.org/publications/posix.1e/download/Posix_1003.1e-990310.ps.bz2

<sys/capability.h>

Section 25: Capabilities

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/security/linux-privs/kernel-2.2/capfaq-0.2.txt

The prefered interface to setting capabilities seems to be through
libcap, which provides <sys/capability.h>.
               cu andreas
fuhggvat qbja gur juveyvat tha.
Neal Stephenson in "Snow Crash"