growisofs fails with "Write error - recovery needed"

Hello,

I just bought a Plextor PX-712A and some ritek 4x dvds.
growisofs fails on random positions while writing with SK=3h/ASC=0Ch/ACQ=07h which is "Write error - recovery needed". It happens in both normal (I guess thats multisession) mode and with -dvd-compat (DAO) mode too. It happens the same way in real writing mode and dummy mode too. It seems to me that this is some kind of buffer underrun problem because it sometimes goes even till 1GB with 2x speed but fails a lot faster with 4x speed. I have an old system (P3 600MHz) so underruns are really possible.

Is it possible to turn on buffer-underrun protection when writing with growisofs? Is it possible to set memory buffer size? My drive has buffer underrun protection and I think that might solve the problem.

I was unable to test it with other writing tools because non of them even started to record the media. I tryed dvdrecord from dvdrtools and cdrecord-ossdvd and both fail even before starting to write and have many warnings even before exiting like "cannot set speed/dummy" and so on.

I also have a TDK 2x -RW and it works well with growisofs and with dvdrecord too. I could not get my hands on other discs yet, but already made 2 coasters.

Here is how it happens:

adam@adam:~/util/dvd+rw-tools-5.20.4.10.8$ ./growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dummy -speed=2 -Z /dev/dvd=/home/adam/cdtmp/data.iso Executing 'builtin_dd if=/home/adam/cdtmp/data.iso of=/dev/dvd obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/dvd: "Current Write Speed" is 2.0x1385KBps.
 10485760/4677287936 ( 0.2%) @1.4x, remaining 29:40
 19791872/4677287936 ( 0.4%) @2.0x, remaining 27:27
 29130752/4677287936 ( 0.6%) @2.0x, remaining 26:35
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) error, command: Write (10) 00 00 00 41 50 00 00 10 00
Info fld=0x34d0, Current sr00:00: sense key Medium Error
Additional sense indicates Write error - recovery needed
:-[ WRITE@LBA=4150h failed with SK=3h/ASC=0Ch/ACQ=07h]: Input/output error
builtin_dd: 16720*2KB out @ average 2.0x1385KBps
:-( write failed: Input/output error
/dev/dvd: flushing cache
/dev/dvd: updating RMA
/dev/dvd: closing session
/dev/dvd: reloading tray

In real writing mode it has an additional error at the end while closing the disk but I think thats not important.

I use dvd+rw-tools-5.20.4.10.8 as you can see above and have kernel 2.4.23. I use ide-scsi and devfs. I have already thrown away the coasters so cannot write info on them but they seemd to be written well till the error, I could mount the filesystem on them and the data in the files which were actually written.

Thanks for your time,

Adam