Re: Bad media?

:-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output
error

If you simply get rid of exit, you ignore the return code from OPC, while the idea is to skip the OPC command altogether.

I changed it as you said and added a message saying "skipping opc" but
still couldn't get it to work (neither 4x nor 1x). I'm still getting

skipping opc...
:-[ WRITE@LBA=8d0h failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output
error

Do you have an idea why simulation is successful, the actual writing
fails as seen above, and, after the unsuccesful writing, a simulation
with the very same medium is successful again?

But why simulation wouldn't be successful? Indeed, if the laser is off, then the unit has to *assume* something and naturally it would have to assume that power calibration was successful. You can't detect media defects in simulation mode either. And in some situations (most notably in incremental recording) failure to fulfill simulated recording doesn't actually mean that real one will fail... In other words simulation mode is a software debugging tool, but it's value is limited when it comes to real media problems.

Do you need more / other debugging output?

I have to admit I don't really have a clue... There're two more possibilities I can think of, but they are a bit too far-fetched... One is that growisofs always insist on buffer underrun protection being on. And secondly Nero might maintain media table and pass down OPC values... Unfortunately we can hardly proceed with this matter. I mean we can't squeeze any relevant information out of Sony, as they will keep claiming that the unit is "designed for Windows only," right? Did I understand it correctly that the problem is specific to some media brand? If so, you probably be better off using some other media brand anyway... A.