Re: cdrecord fails with SCSI burner

Well, I wasn't expecting a big thread on this, but never mind. The main
reasons I posted was for the record and for a laugh, obviously if
someone had had the quick-shot fix I'd appreciate it nevertheless.
Maybe it's time to retire a 1995 burner the size of a desktop PC, even
though it still has usable life. As I have another internal IDE burner,
which works even with subfs, as !=root and out of the box (but it fails
to detect correct media speed, defaulting to burner's lowest), there's
no big urgency on the door stop one. However, as it seems of general
interest, I'll follow up the obvious leads soonish.

I used cdrecord-prodvd to check if the problem was caused by SuSE's
hacking (answer: no), obviously to save myself compiling my own for the
time being. The cdrecord binary from SuSE 8.2 (very reliable back then)
doesn't run because of a libresmgr version issue. I believe I did try
with a 1.x cdrecord binary from back yonks, but can't find the log file
and it didn't work any better/different. It seems quite obviously
caused by the kernel.

Volker

PS Jörg: Either you accept that people have a different view on
/dev/xyz, or get used to being ignored on it.

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.