Bad media?

Hello!

Is it possible that growisofs can't write on a certain type of media
while Nero can? I don't have problems with Nero, but when using
growisofs (via k3b) I'm always getting the message

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd: engaging DVD-R DAO upon user
request...
:-[ PERFORM OPC failed with SK=3h/ASC=73h/ACQ=03h]: Input/output error

even with the very same DVD (simulation failed in k3b but succeded in
Nero). I usually thought this error message indicates bad media or media
that is not supported by the writer's firmware, but as Nero can do it, I
don't know where to start looking for a solution...

I'm using dvd+rw-tools 5.20.4.10.8 / k3b 0.11.12-r1, maybe someone of
you can help me, and please reply off-list too as I'm not subscribed,
thanks a whole lot!

printk("CPU[%d]: Giving pardon to imprisoned penguins\n",
smp_processor_id());
        linux-2.4.8/arch/sparc64/kernel/smp.c