Re: Better Linux Kernel Patch for 4GB Inode Problem

>From: Paul Serice <paul@serice.net>

> > This is definitely not allowed!
> >
> > In short: POSIX requires that each unique file on a system has a unique
> > st_dev/st_ino pair.

>I understand, but the current code is, in most ways, much further from
>the standard than my patch.

THe currecnt code is much beter than your patch. It works in a usable
way fot what it has been designed for - CDs.

Code that creates st_ino == 0 or that gives away non-unique inode numbers
is inaceptable.

>I definitely appreciate the hints.  The closest I came to figuring it
>out is that I rounded down to 60.  Given that the kernel code goes to
>great lengths to splice together blocks, at the very least, I should
>have rounded up to 61.  I didn't think this is what you were hinting
>at though because at 60 or 61, I should still have unique inodes
>because both fit in 6 bits.  I thought you were hinting at something
>deeper.  Something I was never going to be able to figure out.

Why is it soo hard to understand that you cannot divide by 64 while
the smallest directory entry is 34 bytes and most real life entries
are still smaller than 64 bytes?

>I figured you were doing me a favor from a licensing standpoint by not
>disclosing more of the solution.  So, I didn't want to bother you
>further.  Plus, I was never entirely happy with the first patch I
>posted.  It has the same problems as the current kernel code just at
>128GB instead of at 4GB.  So at some point in the not too distant
>future, the code was going to break again.

Well, UDF does not allow files > 234 GB. There are many limitations.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling