Re: growisofs and ieee1394 Toshiba SD-R5002 burns bad DVD-Rs

I used to be able to burn good DVD-R and DVD-RW discs using growisofs
with a Toshiba SD-R5002 (firmware 1033) in an external firewire case. I'm not sure which version of growisofs/mkisofs and Linux kernel I was
using at the time and unfortunately I cannot check since the laptop I
was using then is now broken.  I was using Debian testing with a
2.4.twenty-something kernel.

Recently on another machine, I'd installed Debian testing using kernel
versions 2.4.25, 2.6.3, 2.6.5, and the recent 2.6.6 (unpatched from
kernel.org).  Three different DVD-R brands have been tried: BeAll 1x-4x,
Princo 1x, and a no-name 1x-2x.

Question is if either of these media brands worked before or did you use some other brand by then?

All attempts to write to these DVD-Rs
using growisofs (v5.19) using the same Toshiba DVD-RW drive have
resulted in unusable DVD-Rs.  dvd+rw-mediainfo reports:

  INQUIRY:                [TOSHIBA ][DVD-ROM SD-R5002][1033]
  GET [CURRENT] CONFIGURATION:
  :-( no media mounted, exiting...
Unwritten DVD-Rs report correct information. One weird thing is the
written side of these unusable DVD-Rs look very strange.  One can see
concentric circles of light-and-dark in the medium which isn't present
on properly written media.

??? Application program can't record in circles without failing or being terminated. If program ignores error codes [or don't get any from kernel] you should at worst see one small circle. Concentric circles most likely indicate that unit is broken. It can't possibly be application issue.

Currently, I've been writing to DVDs using dvdrecord -dao with iso
images which works even though dvdrecord aborts at the end with an error
when the cache is flushed.

You can use growisofs in dao mode as well, just complement command line with -use-the-force-luke=dao. A.