Alternative to readcd for C2scans?

I have gotten into the habit of checking my CD burns by doing a readcd with -c2scan on them, but under Linux 2.6 kernels that doesn't seem to work with USB connected burners. I get an end of read after zero sectors. I've tried using sectors= and speed= without success. Since these burners must be used as SCSI, the ATAPI: access doesn't apply.

These drives (three various models) work fine to burn, mount, and read, but for critical data I'd like to read the CD after at the C2 level. Any suggestions for an alternate program? I have tried cdrtools up to a28.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc