linux usb-scsi emulation bug? cdrecord/cdrdao usb-cdwriter issues.

A while ago I posted the following issue (at the end) with a USB
Freecom cdwriter to cdrecord; since then I found I can do
"-force" to make cdrecord use those media. In fact it seems that
once any of those problematic media has been written once
(in a multisession scenario), they would respond to -atip
without generating those strange scsi errors again.
Another problem with cdrdao, and I think it is certainly a
drive/linux usb-scsi emulation problem:

Recently I had a different issue with that Freecom USB drive, trying to
copy an audio CD (an audio-equipment-fanatic friend's recording
of a concert I performed in...) with cdrdao. cdrdao with the
"generic-mmc" driver produces broken discs, whereas the
"generic-mmc-raw" driver works fine. The broken discs sounded like
having burst of noise every second or so in the last 10 seconds
of the recording. I thought it was bad media, but I have the
same problem after changing media batch/brand, and yet as soon as I switch
to the "generic-mmc-raw" driver, (even with the same batch of media),
the audio artefect went away. I can quite reliably reproduce
the problem - was making multiple copies of the same disc for
the rest of the orchestra... the generic-mmc/generic-mmc-raw
driver works in the same way on reading (I tried both
and compare the md5sum's), but they works
differently on writing, one of them get chewed up by the linux
kernel's usb-scsi emulation, I think...

Any suggestion how to go fix this or where to look? I have a bit
of USB programming background (with USB printers http://sourceforge.net/projects/epsonepl/), and do a small amount of
scsi programming as part of my regular job. Would it be useful
if I do an audio extraction on the broken discs and compare
than with the original?

Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

Joerg Schilling wrote:

From hintak_leung@yahoo.co.uk Mon Apr  7 18:17:27 2003
 I recently bought a batch of CD-R media, which cdrecord under
linux cannot use: cdrecord dies with "Cannot get disk type";
however, Ahead Nero under win98 with the same drive
can burn the same media, so it is not a hardware+media
compatibility problem, but a cdrecord+media problem.

I can use cdrecord/linux + the same drive + other media,
so it is the "cdrecord/linux + those media" combination.

Either it is a cdrecord problem, or the linux + scsi over usb support
of the linux (2.4.20, with the "usb-storage" support of
the FreeCOM USB cdwriter). Thoughts, suggestions?

(okay, I can just thow that batch of media away - but
Nero under win98 with the same drivecan use these media, so I
see it as more a cdrecord/linux problem then a media problem)

Details of "cdrecord -vvv -atip dev=0,0,0" below:
========================
bash-2.05a# cdrecord -vvv -atip dev=0,0,0
Cdrecord 2.01a09 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
Using libscg transport code version 'schily-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.75'
atapi: 1
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 2
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'CD-R/RW '
Identifikation : 'CW088D CD-R/RW  '
Revision       : '11SF'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Drive current speed: 48
Drive default speed: 48
Drive max speed    : 48
Selected speed     : 48
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1806336 = 1764 KB
 01 00 00 01 00 00 00 00
 01 AA 01 01 00 00 00 00
 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 01 AA 01 00 00 00 00 00
Track 1 start -150
 01 00 A0 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 00
 01 00 A1 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
 01 00 A2 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type B, low Beta category (B-) (4)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11607 (97:27/18)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 18
Manufacturer: Plasmon Data systems Ltd.
cdrecord: Input/output error. read disk info: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 5A 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 00 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x0 No Additional Sense, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x00 (no additional sense information) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.015s timeout 240s
cdrecord: Cannot get disk type.

Looks like a Linux kernel bug :-(