write verification when using growisofs

In order to do a verifiable write when using cdrecord I follow
this sequence:
1. I first create the iso image of the data on the disk and calculate
   its checksum. Then I write the iso image to the CD and delete the iso
   image from disk.
2. Using readcd I read the iso image back from the CD
3. Calculate the checksum of this iso image
4. For verification, I compare the two checksums

I am new to growisofs and understand that it does not write
intermediate iso image to disk but rather directly to DVD. If I have to
write ,say DVD-R, with incremental writes what is the mechanism by which
I can do the verification of each incremental write process. Can it be
done in a manner equivalent to the one I described above or is there a
better way?

I shall really appreciate your response.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Ashish