Re: permissions denied when using k3b

> I'm curious as to if anyone has found a reasonable solution to problems
> with the various gui interfaces running as a non-root user when cdrecord
> is the chosen tool?
>
> I've tried setting permissions on the device, setuid bit and sudo, to no
> avail.  cdrecord always exists because of permissions.

Not by a GUI but by shell scripts, i frequently use cdrecord as non-root.
Setuid bit does work for me (Linux kernels 2.0 to 2.4, cdrecord 1.6 to 2.01).
The superuser once applied :

 cdrecord_address=...insert.address.here...
 chown root $cdrecord_address
 chmod a+x,go-w,u+s $cdrecord_address

Ownership and permissions now look like :
 -rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root

What can have gone wrong ?
- the GUI program got its own ideas what cdrecord to use ?
  ( try cdrecord standalone )
- your attempts to set owner and permissions did not take effect ? ( ls -l )
- you treated the wrong file ? (  find / -name cdrecord -print 2>/dev/null )
- your system refuses to perform setuid ? ( try out with own code )
- ( room for more ideas )

Disclaimer :
Skilled local users might try to exploit the security problems of setuid.
sudo would be better but -to my knowledge- demands some kind of skilled
sysadmin during setup. Also the application would have to call sudo rather
than cdrecord. Preferable if achievable.