Re: problem burning DVD-R with PX708A

> growisofs can't burn dvd-r. It works fine with dvd+rw.
> I haven't tried yet with +R nor -RW.
> I've made several atempts, always failing the same way:
> -speed does not work
> burning fails trying to write block 0.
>
> INQUIRY:                [PLEXTOR ][DVDR   PX-708A  ][1.04]
>  Mounted Media:         11h, DVD-R Sequential
>  Media ID:              MXL RG01

MXL means Maxell, right? Note that Maxell DVD-R brand was exposed to
counterfeit attempt, see
http://www.maxell.co.jp/e/release/20030704.html. How does your emballage
look like?

>  Write Performance:     4.0x1385=5540KB/s@[0 -> 2294911]
>  Speed Descriptor#0:    02/2298495 R@8.0x1385=11080KB/s W@2.0x1385=2770KB/s
>  Speed Descriptor#1:    02/2298495 R@8.0x1385=11080KB/s W@1.0x1385=1385KB/s

Normally "Write Performance" appears in one of the "Speed Descriptor#N"
as well. The fact that it doesn't means that unit failed to properly
identify the media...

> # growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/scd1=Input.iso
> :-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=3h/ASC=02h/ACQ=00h]: Input/output error

3/02/00 stands for "NO SEEK COMPLETE" (see
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/keys.txt for transcripts),
which just bizarre in this context and therefore most likely indicates
poor firmware support for this media. Well, given that Maxell is
well-established brand, it also might be as simple as media defect on
that particular disk... Did you try several disks or just one?

> # growisofs -dvd-compat -speed=1 -Z /dev/scd1=Input.iso
> :-( Failed to change write speed: 5540->1385

Well, it's hardly growisofs fault. As mentioned above, unit apparently
gets speed settings backwards. I would strongly recommend to try another
media brand. A.