Re: plextor px-708uf: cannot get disk type

> >> A possible reason may be a bug in growisofs....
>
> >If growisofs didn't pay attention to the error code returned by the
> >command in question, I can assure that the recording would have failed
> >to start in some other way (or do I again know too little to assure
> >that?) The reason why growisofs doesn't get stuck on this is because it
> >doesn't try to squeeze the unit for every bit of information (most
> >likely partially bogus in this particular case), but asks only for
> >information relevant for the intended purpose. As I can assure that this
> >is actually intentional behaviour, it can't be classified as a bug. Yes,
> >it hides/avoids bugs in unit firmware and possibly Linux USB transport,
> >but it's not a coincidence or "lucky guess," but a result of
> >consideration which so to say paid off. A.
>
> Cdrecord does not squeeze the drive....

Did I say that cdrecord "squeezes the drive"? No! If I wanted to say
that, I'd say "Unlike cdrecord, growisofs..." But I said nothing of that
sort! I said that growisofs asks only for information I consider
required for intended purpose in a colorful way. I was basically
answering Thomas' question. Thomas! Did I answer the question "WHY would
growisofs either not have or not be stopped by this error?" I also tried
to point out that I don't share the opinion that growisofs success is
result of bug.

> it just does what the SCSI standard
> documents: Ask the drive how many bytes it is willing to provide and later
> retrieve them.

Good for cdrecord.

> You did not answer if growisofs always checks the SCSI Status byte.

There was no question "if growisofs always checks the SCSI Status byte"
[in fact I fail to find any question posed by you in previous post]. But
I think this unasked question was indirectly answered. Indeed, doesn't
"if growisofs didn't pay attention to the error code returned by the
command in question, [it would work at all]" mean "growisofs does pay
attention"? A.