Re: Sony DRU-510A, cannot burn dvd's on Solaris9 x386

> >> from all the tests I've run .. I know it's a buffer overrun.
>
> >Buffer overruns are *not* denoted with "INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE," and
> >should be handled by application transparently. *Unhandled* buffer
> >underruns in turn *are* denoted as depicted in originating post. How do
> >you come to the conclusion that it's overrun condition?
>
> This is definitely wrong!

Can you be so kind and tell what exactly is "definitely wrong"? Given
that "definitely wrong" implies "complete opposite is true". Do you mean
that "buffer *overruns* are denoted with "INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE"? Or
do you mean that "buffer *overruns* are not handled by cdrecord-ProDVD
transparently"? Or do you mean that "*underruns* are never denoted as
depicted in originating post"? I can agree that my *last* statement can
be classified as "slightly wrong", as "buffer *underrun *can be* denoted
as depicted in originating post" is more appropriate than "buffer
*underrun* *is* denoted." But I can't agree that all of the above is
"definitely wrong."

> >If your system is subject to buffer underruns, another recording stategy
> >might do the trick as well. As previously mentioned, buffer underrun
> >protection appears to be optional for the recording strategy supported
> >by cdrecord-ProDVD, namely DAO. growisofs on the other hand defaults to
> >Incremental recording, where buffer underrun is mandatory: "If BUFE bit
> >is set to 1 [and] the logical unit detects buffer under-run, the logical
> >unit *shall* perform the Lossless-Link." As for using DVD+ instead.
> >Buffer underrun protection is unconditionally on (can't be switched off)
> >in all DVD+ recordings.
>
> It is relatively easy to prove the oposite!

What is easy to refute? That "buffer underrun protection can't be
switched off in DVD+? Or that "support for buffer underrun protection is
mandatory for Incremental mode"? Or that "buffer underrun protection is
optional in DAO mode"?

> My tests with burnproof active did show that it works for DVD SAO writing.

We have discussed this already. My experiments with initial SONY 500
firmware has shown opposite, at least with real(!) recording. It most
likely means that it *can vary* from vendor to vendor and maybe from
firmware to firmware (which by the way does *not* contradict that little
documentation on the sunject which is publicly available!). Can you
confirm that you've tested the firmware in question, SONY DRU-510A 1.0a,
in real(!), not test, mode?

> The recording strategy used by growisofs gives less compatibility as
> it does not write in SAO mode.

We have discussed it too. Being way more practical Incremental strategy
provides for *adequate* compatibility. I have not recieved a single
report that media recorded in Incremental mode was less compatible that
one recorded in DAO. A.