Re: Sony DRU-510A, cannot burn dvd's on Solaris9 x386

> OS:                     Solaris 9, x386
> cdrecord version:       cd-record-prodvd-2.01a12-i386-pc-solaris2.9
> DVD Model:              Sony DRU-510A
>
> When I try to burn a DVD (using DVD-R media this is the results I get ...
>
> Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 2 in real TAO mode for single session.
> CDB:  2A 00 00 00 08 B8 00 00 1F 00
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 21 02 00 C0 00 02
> Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x02 (invalid address for write) Fru 0x0
> cdrecord: It looks like 'driveropts=burnfree' does not work for this drive.
> CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
> Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 12 00 00 00 00 04 08 00 00 00 00
> Sense Code: 0x04 Qual 0x08 (logical unit not ready, long write in progress)

As error printout suggests there is a possibility that buffer underrun
protection is not effective in the recording mode in question. One can
argue if it's firmware deficiency or not, because if you read for
example Mt.Fuji drafts, buffer underrun protection is not defined [or is
optional] in DVD-R DAO mode. The exact wording is "If a buffer under-run
occurs, the logical unit shall stop writing immediately and the logical
unit shall start writing of Lead-out." Where "shall" is defined
previously in document as "mandatory requirement." This was discussed
once, long time ago...

Following option is most likely irrelevant, but such behaviour (INVALID
ADDRESS FOR WRITE while LONG WRITE IN PROGRESS) was observed under
Solaris 8 with USB connected units... You mentioned that you run Solaris
9, but is it external or IDE unit you're talking about?

> Could someone help me out here?

You can double-check DMA settings and abstain from using your computer
during recording (in order to minimize probability of buffer underrun)
or you can download dvd+rw-tools at
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/. Despite the name and page
heading, it works with all kind of DVD media and runs under several OSes
including Solaris. A.