Re: restricted overwrite and cd cloning

> I have discovered that dvd+rw-tools (which I use through k3b) that I
> have the possibility to write the discs in restricted overwrite format.
> I'm not a technical guy and someone adviced it to me as a replacement
> for udf. What are the similarities and the differences between both?

The advice was misleading, as they are not something you can interchange
nor even compare. Indeed, Restricted Overwrite is a DVD-RW recording
strategy and UDF is a logical file system layout. Neither really imply
another. In other words you can perfectly lay down any file system on a
DVD-RW disc formatted for Restricted Overwrite, as well as you can
perfectly lay down an UDF volume on any other media. The only connection
between Restricted Overwrite and UDF is that the *if* you want to deploy
read-write(!) UDF with DVD-RW(!), Restricted Overwrite is the only
recording strategy that provides [rather has potential to provide] for
this.

> I have bought a Spanish dictionary on cd-rom and I wanted to copy it to
> have a backup copy. The cd is copy protected, what is actually nonsense,
> since nothing can prevent installations from the original cd. To make
> this backup copy I used CloneCD (a Windoze program) succesfully. But in
> Linux readcd complains about a sector error in some sectors (when only
> 2% is read). How can I clone this copy protected cd under Linux?

This question can't possibly have any relation to the above one and
therefore I'm not going to answer it [as it falls "beyond" my field of
expertise]. I would strongly recommend to post unrelated questions as
*separate* posts, so that they're threaded separately and can be
searched separately:-) A.