Re: DVD+/-R writers

Volker Kuhlmann wrote:

If you like to buy a single format writer, buy DVD-, it is standard has less readibility problems

As you keep on propagating this nonsense (one might also call it FUD),
for the record: DVD+ isn't any less standard than DVD-. Anyone can call
themselves the "standard". Despite the FUD the DVD- people are putting
out about DVD+, DVD+ isn't going to go away because it has a few things
to offer DVD- couldn't possibly dream of (hence the need to resort to
dirty tricks). As I can make out DVD+ is gaining momentum, and
personally I wouldn't dream of buying a single-format burner - I
imagine most people might think the same and the days of single-format
burners are numbered. Any decent player has no problems with either
DVD- or DVD+ as long as the media quality isn't rock-bottom.

Let's be serious here, you may have "any decent player" available, but if I'm writing a DVD with greatest chance of being playable on DVD-ROM system of unknown origin, I use DVD-R. Joerg seems to be right, it works in more places.

You guys can argue all day about which is standard, many of us care more about what is most likely to work in a system other than our own. Doesn't appear to be FUD, appears to be good advice. Note he said "If you like to buy a single format writer," not "avoid DVD+R." Sounds like good advice to me, although I certainly will be getting +/- for futire use, now that the price is down.

--
E. Robert Bogusta
 It seemed like a good idea at the time