Re: DVD recording adventures continued

> > > Going to DVD-R media, I am totally unable to burn any of them.
> > Do try more media brands...
>
> With the NEC and unsupported media, an error message indicating
> that fact (no support for medium in drive) showed up - as you
> can see, this time no such error is shown.

Well, we can only wish that all vendors return same error codes in same
situations. It's jungle out there, trust me.

> Or in other words - I do not think
> the problem is that the drive does not like the disc.

And I don't think it's an application or kernel problem:-)

> Does the following not tell you anything?
>  :-[ LBA=0h, SENSE KEY=5h/ASC=21h/ASCQ=02h ]

See http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/keys.txt for transcript.
5/21/02 stands "INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE," which essentially makes no
sense for blank media [unless unit failed to figure out what to do with
it].

> Additionally tried Princo now - here, the drive gets locked up
> showing status with
>   scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid .. scsi0, channel 0
>         id 0, lun 0 Start/Stop Unit 00 00 00 03 00

The command reads as "load the disk, start the disc and make ready for
access." Timeout means that the unit failed to figure out what to do
with media within reasonable time... Does it mean that media is
supported?

> dvd+rw-mediainfo:
> INQUIRY:                [PLEXTOR ][DVDR   PX-708A  ][1.02]
>  Mounted Media:         1Bh, DVD+R
> READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
>  Track Size:            1*2KB

Media is most likely *totally* busted and you can't reuse it. Track size
of 1 makes no sense. DVD ECC block size is 32KB and Track size should
always be N*16*2KB. It might make sense to block signals in the
beginning of recording in next update...

> By the way, I do not get any medium atip info for DVD+R

Next update will show media manufacturer id even for DVD+media. A.