Re: cdrtools-2.01a22 ready

>From: Volker Kuhlmann <hidden@paradise.net.nz>

WARNING: if you continue to include an illegal reply email address in your
mailings, you will be ignored in future!

>> >Can you be more specific about the bugs please? Or does that "contain
>> >bugs" simply refer to that they're not the latest alpha version?
>>
>> Patches that don't follow the conceptional design of complex data structures
>> easily break functions that the author of the patch is not aware of.

>In the past so many years cdrecord has always worked for me, but I
>haven't tried their latest version.

I am talking about the patches tha are intended to implement DVD writing.

>> SuSE implements a "device manager" deamon that opens device nodes for other
>> programs. This daemon is less secure than cdrecord/libscg as libscg
>> does far more than a simple string compare/pattern matching on the device node
>> name.

>Your alternative requires cdrecord to be SUID root, which from my point
>of view (not knowing the details about either) isn't any safer than
>resmgr (programmed by a professional + paid security person). IMHO it

Well, why then SuSE does not hire a professional for help?

The SuSE hack is definitely less secure than an official cdrecord version.

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling