Re: Copying video DVDs in Linux?

>From: danci@agenda.si

>I have a friend who owns a large collection of movies on DVD. Now he
>discovered that often his (older) media get damaged and don't work well
>anymore.

>So he bought a DVD+-RF/+-R drive to copy all of his DVDs only to discover
>that it's not an easy job to do.

>So he asked me if Linux can do that better - and as I have no idea about
>it, I'm turning to this list for pointers...

>Can movie DVDs be copied in Linux?
>Where to look for more info?

General method:

1)	use dvdbackup to copy the content to the hard disk

2)	if needed use a program to shrink the amount of data
	to 4.3 GB

3)	use mkisofs -dvd-video to create a UDF image

4)	use cdrecord-ProDVD to write the image to the DVD
	ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ProDVD/

       schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de	(work) chars I am J"org Schilling