Re: compilation problem on HPUX11

First of all keep in mind that I myself don't have access to an HP-UX
system and can't personally verify the HP-UX code posted on my page. In
general HP's goal is to deliver dvd+rw-tools on some Free Software
Add-ons for HP-UX CD. 5.14.x is unlikely to be the version which will
appear on that CD, but is an experimental public release. Idea is to
understand better what are users' expectations and what's optimal thing
to do.

> > .cpp.o:
> >       $(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) -c  $@ $<
> >
> > The "-c" on the last line above should be "-c -o", just like on the
> > second line.

Applied (as well as /usr/sbin/install). Thanks.

> another question about growisofs.c:
>
> there are a few lines, that looks like a patch.
> what means this ?
>
> #if 0
> #define CANNOT_PASS_DEV_FD_N_TO_MKISOFS
> #elif 0

In order to generate an increment to an isofs volume, mkisofs has to be
instructed where to find the volume to be grown. On other supported
OSes, it's elegantly done by passing opened file descriptor to mkisofs.
HP-UX on the other hand doesn't support /dev/fd/N and we have to find
another way to achieve that. There're several options:

- pass so called BTL address to mkisofs, where BTL stands for Bus,
Target, LUN, which identifies a SCSI unit. This requires mkisofs to be
installed set-root-uid and is not exactly desired.
- patch mkisofs to interpret passed arguments in a way which makes it
possible to pass opened file descriptor, in which case mkisofs won't
require any extra privileges whatsoever (and might as well reside on
user's $PATH if [s]he wishes so).

This is what mentioned code snippet is about. As in 5.14 tar-ball,
growisofs expects mkisofs to be patched with proposed patch (you can
copy-n-paste text between "#elif 0" and "#endif" into separate file and
apply the patch in mkisofs source tree). This is most likely how it will
be implemented on the HP-UX CD. But you're free to change that by
replacing "#if 0" with "#if 1," in which case growisofs will pass BTL
address instead of opened file descriptor. Once again, only growing
volumes is affected by this, i.e. growisofs -M. growisofs -Z works "out
of the box." A.