cdrecord -scanbus strangeness?

Hello,

sorry if this is a stupid question.

I just downloaded cdrtools-2.01a20pre2 to try out its ATAPI
support. (Linux 2.4's ide-scsi seems to be very broken.)
I noticed the following:

- cdrecord dev=help says bus scanning is supported for the ATAPI
  transport;

- However, if I run cdrecord -scanbus, I just get

Cdrecord-Clone 2.01a19 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open '/dev/pg*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

strace seems to indicate that cdrecord stopped scanning after
it failed to open the /dev/pg files.

It may be this is the intended behaviour, but somehow it feels
wrong that it would not scan ATAPI because it can't open the
pg devices. Is this a bug, or is there some special notation I
need to use to tell cdrecord to scan the ATAPI bus?

(This is basically a DIY distribution, but I remember this also
happening on my Debian box at the office. So I am suspecting that
this behaviour is not related to the OS.)

Thanks.