Re: DVD+/-R writers

> > Only once fully formated (which
> >takes 1 hour for 1x media), DVD-RW permits for random write, but with
> >32KB granularity. Latter means that you either have to have special
> >kernel driver which would arrange for 32KB granularity or modify file
> >system code to do same thing. Now note that no work (at least no visible
> >outcome so far) has been done to accomplish either of these two
> >alternatives under Linux (or any other Unix implementation), [presumaly]
> >because it's damn hard.
>
> So DVD+RW drives do things in firmware what you need to do in the kernel
> if you like to have 2k granularity with DVD-RW. But this is nothing a new
> firmware could not support.

Specifications are very explicit about I/O granularity in DVD-RW
Restricted Overwrite mode. You seem to be willing to bend standard to
suit you, it's not fair play. Secondly it doesn't really matter what one
*could* *possibly* do [to stretch something to something else], does it?

> Note that the kernel also first reads a 512 byte sector from a hard disk
> if you like to write only 64 bytes.

Yes. But as already implied, if you want to extend this to 32KB to
accomodate DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, you have to modify kernel file
system driver. The question was "why is there random access possibility
for DVD+RW, but not for DVD-RW?" A.