Re: DVD recording adventures continued

> >> There is another problem with DVD+, it seems that all DVD+ drives not made by
> >> Ricoh don't follow the SCSI standards.....
> >
> >Special meaning for value of FF in Track Number in Close Track/Session
> >command was removed already in MMC-2. At the same time as the field in
> >question was extended to two bytes as DVD- permits for over 2000 zones.
>
> but I thought that the SCSI committee was so clever not to make never
> releases contradict older versions of the standard.

Once again! Specification does not condradict itself, not in
DVD-context. They did the best they could. In order to provide for +2000
zones, they had to extend the field to two bytes and consequently
keeping 0xFF would result in *ambiguous* behaviour. DVD recording
program may not use 0xFF, unless it actually wants to close zone number
255. In other words DVD recording program expecting unit to treat value
of 0xFF specially is basically broken. A.