RE: Write problems with unbranded DVD[+-]RW drive...

Hi Jörg,

> As this happens after 1 MB (<= than the RAM size) it may be a
> buffer underrun.
> Check transfer speeds.....
>
> It however looks like the drives does not like the medium.
> Call cdrecord -atip

Hmm, I'm not sure - I managed to burn several of these disks using growisofs, and then mount the disks on my Mac (as well as on this linux box) so I *think* the media are OK?

Anyway, attached is the output from "cdrecord-ProDVD dev=0,0,0 -atip" and it doesn't look good... although I'm not sure what it is telling us.

BTW: Are there any "dangers" with using the "-atip" option?

Since I used it, I haven't been able to mount *any* DVD media on this drive - it was working OK before (I had been checking through the backups I made on Wed. to make sure they were *still* OK) but after trying the -atip test I now can't access *any* DVD on this drive...
not even DVD-ROM or movies.
I *can* still mount CD's though.

It's probably just a coincidence, but I thought I'd better ask in case there were any known issues, as at present my *cheap* DVD burner has turned in to an *expensive* CD reader...
Which is inconvenient, to say the least!

Thanks again. Cheers for now, -atip output attached,

root@immpc3 /root # cdrecord-ProDVD dev=0,0,0 -atip
Cdrecord-ProDVD-Clone 2.01a12 (i586-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2003 Jörg Schilling
Unlocked features: ProDVD Clone
Limited  features:
This copy of cdrecord is licensed for: private/research/educational_non-commercial_use
scsidev: '0,0,0'
scsibus: 0 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.20
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'DVDRW   '
Identifikation : 'IDE1004         '
Revision       : '0040'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
/home/ian/src/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a12-i586-pc: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 02 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 3A 01 00 00
Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x3A Qual 0x01 (medium not present - tray closed) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s
/home/ian/src/cdrecord-prodvd-2.01a12-i586-pc: No disk / Wrong disk!
root@immpc3 /root #

--
Ian