Re: Why does cdrecord turn burnfree off by default?

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:35:12PM +0100, Samuel Tardieu wrote:
> The manpage of cdrecord says:
>
>        The  default  is to turn BURN-Free off, regardless of the
>        defaults of the drive.
>
> What is the rationale for doing that? Shouldn't burn-free be turned on
> by default, or at least be let untouched by cdrecord to preserve the writer's
> default behaviour?

Supposedly the burnproof technology causes discs that are slightly less
compatible than discs that didn't need burnproof (although I have no
idea if it makes a difference at all if it never gets activated).  I
know some drives also slow their max speed if it is enabled, which may
not be what is desired (ie 40x max with burnproof and 48x max without).

Len Sorensen