Re: writeable block device for dvd+rw under 2.6 kernel

>> However, I am unable to write to /dev/hdx directly under 2.6.0-test8.
> With what kind of errors?

It is read-only. -EROFS, if I remember correctly.

>> This works with the patched ide-scsi and sr_mod.
> Patched? With what patches?

With Andy's dvd+rw patches:
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/linux-2.4.patch

>> I have looked into ide-cd.c and I think it only supports writing for
>> dvd-ram.

> Nope. It works just fine for CD-R and DVD+-R/W.

Are we talking about the same thing? I need a writeable
_block device_. I have _no problems_ using cdrecord or
growisofs (w/ poor man's access method).

Andy states on his page:
"Linux 2.6 DVD+RW kernel support is planned in line with DVD+MRW
kernel support. This [unfortunately] means that industry has to
deliver a DVD+MRW capable unit first. Yes, the last sentence
means that despite all the promises, there are no such units
available on the market yet."

Regards,
	Csaba