Re: Compressed backup query

> I would like to make compressed backups. Correct me if I am wrong, but I
> believe growisofs does not provide that facility via an option.
>
> I believe I would need to make a compressed backup of the directory and
> then copy this to DVD with growisofs?

What's a "compressed backup"? If you mean like 'tar zcf', then you can
just pipe its output to growisofs, e.g. 'tar zcf - /some/files |
growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/fd/0', without wasting any volatile storage.
If you refer to "transparent decompression" in Linux isofs, then it's
mkisofs department and you should know that growisofs passes *all*
options it fails to interpret internally down to mkisofs [therefore no
explicit support for any particular mkisofs option is required in
growisofs]. In other words, whatever options you can imagine passing to
mkisofs can as well be passed to growisofs. A.