Cygwin - cdda2wav in WinXP

After some experimenting, I've got cdda2wav working on my WinXP system within a Windoze application. I have never had a problem using it in a DOS box but that didn't do me any good.

In the Win app I use CreateProcess for all the cdrtool console programs and they all work fine in both 9x & XP. CDDA2WAV was the only one that was hanging in WinXP (it has no problems in Win9x/ME).

BOOL CreateProcess(
LPCTSTR lpApplicationName, // pointer to name of executable module
  LPTSTR lpCommandLine,                   // pointer to command line string
  LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpProcessAttributes,  // process security attributes
  LPSECURITY_ATTRIBUTES lpThreadAttributes,   // thread security attributes
BOOL bInheritHandles, // handle inheritance flag *** set to 'TRUE' DWORD dwCreationFlags, // creation flags *** set priority parameter to NORMAL - no other flags set. LPVOID lpEnvironment, // pointer to new environment block LPCTSTR lpCurrentDirectory, // pointer to current directory name
  LPSTARTUPINFO lpStartupInfo,               // pointer to STARTUPINFO
LPPROCESS_INFORMATION lpProcessInformation // pointer to PROCESS_INFORMATION
);

In WinXP - Cdda2wav seems to need to inherit handles from the calling process. If 'bInheritHandles' is set to FALSE it hangs on my system.

In WinXP - Cdda2wav hangs if the 'dwCreationFlags' parameter for new process's priority class is set to higher than NORMAL_PRIORITY_CLASS. Sometimes I got lucky but the only reliable setting was "Normal". And I don't set any other 'dwCreationFlags' - no New Console or New Process Group etc. When experimenting with these flags, cdda2wav would often hang.

Cdda2wav is now rock solid in my WinXP app ( and should I assume Win2K? ).

In Win9x/ME I find no need for any of this. I can use whatever CreateProcess settings I want for 'bInheritHandles' or 'dwCreationFlags' for the cdda2wav createprocess.

Has anyone else experimented with this? If so what did you find? Cdda2wav still hangs with the -paranoia switch no matter what I do. Otherwise all other options seem to work.

Bill Mudd
---