Re: Packaging and installation

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> Sorry to drag up this old thread, but this issue isnt going to go away
> by ignoring it.
>
> You (and the LSB) are suggesting that RPM should be the default package
> format seemingly on the basis that its more widely used.

It is not our intent to suggest that RPM is the default package manager. In
fact, we don't choose one because there is no clear "winner".

The document does make a suggestion that as a practicle solution, RPM will
work on more platforms than anything else. This wording may be somewhat
confusing, so I'll be clearing it up soon.

> If there is a clearly superier packaging system then the LSB should
> support that and that alone, if there are number of packaging systems
> that each have different flaws and benefits then the LSB should
> recognise all these different packaging systems as having a valid
> purpose, but recognise that they are not ideal.

A "spin-off" of the LSB is a group that is working on resolving the packaging
issues, especially how different system do different things better, and
we are hoping that a new packaging system that is acceptable to everyone
will come from this group. So far, they are off to a good start.

> I dont see how the LSB can ever succeed if it is based on a popularity
> contest rather than technical merit.

We have to balance what is practicle with what is best. I'd sure love to
choose the best technical solutions, but if no one is using it, then there
isn't much point in doing so. Our mission is not to create new stuff and
force it upone everyone, but rather to document what is generally agreed upon,
and encourage others to follow a process that results in things that are
generally agreed upon so that we may also adopt them.

> The LSB is shooting itself in the foot by alienating non-RPM supporters

That is not what we meant to do.

                                Stuart

Stuart R. Anderson                               anderson@metrolink.com

Metro Link Incorporated                          South Carolina Office
5807 North Andrews Way                           129 Secret Cove Drive
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309                   Lexington, SC 29072
voice: 954.660.2500                              voice: 803.951.3630
http://www.metrolink.com/                        XFree86 Core Team
Creative Applications Lab Chair - SIGGRAPH 2001