Re: why is apt 0.8.16~exp12 still in experimental ?

Daniel Hartwig <mandyke@gmail.com> writes:

> 2012/2/19 shirish शिर�ष <shirishag75@gmail.com>:
>>
>> At this point it seems it just is breaking lot of things.Am I reading
>> it right or doing something wrong ?
>>
>> I know this is not a bug but kind of a flux state (and most probably
>> fixed by the time wheezy enters into freeze). I am guessing getting
>> this into unstable would mean multiarching all the related tools as
>> shown above (IIRC the big move with this version is the multi-arch
>> thing).
>>

> That is more-or-less the situation.  There are two reasons why a
> package remains in experimental, I believe both of these currently
> apply to apt at the moment:
>
> 1. Changes to the application binary interface (the "ABI") that are
> incompatible with programs compiled against an existing version.
> Staging these changes in experimental gives other programs a chance to
> catch up.
>
> 2. New features which require more testing before being considered
> suitable for inclusion in the unstable repository.  The behaviour of
> these features may also change significantly during their time in
> experimental (such as some of the new multiarch changes in dpkg).
>
> If you look at the changelog[1] you can many changes are marked "[ABI
> break]".  You can also see there are
>
> Some packages are updated to work with the experimental version
> (synaptic, python-apt), others are not.  This is what aptitude is
> telling you with the upgrade solution it proposed.  If you want to use
> the experimental version of apt then you will need to remove those
> packages which are currently incompatible with it.
>
> [1] http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/a/apt/apt_0.8.16~exp12/changelog

And on a more practical matter, if you want to test it then create a
(minimal) chroot and install the experimental apt there. Without all the
extra software installed you will have less/no conflicts and you won't
be blowing up your main system if things go wrong.

MfG
        Goswin