Re: Speeding Up APT - Project Idea

Ishan Jayawardena <udeshike@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Michael, Hi all,
>
> As you may remember, I talked with you about integrating debdelta into
> apt-get, on the IRC. I found it interesting and therfore, hope to come
> up with a project proposal out of it.

It might make more sense to look into zsync and implement the missing
support to "look into .deb files". The .zsync files could then be
generated by DAK and could be used with any http mirror.

The advantage of zsync would be that it can download the delta between
any 2 versions of a package or between a damaged and actual file of the
package. With debdelta the mirror would have to contain the exact diff
between the local version in the apt cache and the current version. That
would be quite unworkable for unstable. Ad the deltas would be far
larger than the .zsync files.

MfG
        Goswin