Newbie - hint about one item to add to apt documentation

Hello,

Thanks for DEBIAN!
As a Linux novice starting with the DEBIAN WOODY distribution because of its policy about handling of packaging dependencies, I found one simple item which should be integrated in the output from the command "apt-get --help"  :
Would You please note, how it is possible to take only one package out from "testing", but stay with all the rest of the distribution in "stable". After reading documentation and online-forums for several hours(!!!) I finally found a statement in the german-languaged forum, that it might be possible to use a syntax like
"apt-get install packagename/testing" to force the system to take this one package out from "testing". The option " /testing" is not found in the documentation of the commands "man apt-get", and not in "apt-get --help". You should (PLEASE) add this possibility for the newbies like me in the help text and also give a hint how to prepare (if necessary) the "sources.list"-file than! Thanks.

Further explanation of this newbie-problem (you may not see the problem as you are already an expert!) and one question arising from this "/testing" option:
My default sources.list file normaly only points to " stable" and to the "security.debian.org stable/updates", because I want to stay save about not crashing my system due to irrelevant softwareinstallations, as a linux beginner.
But I then needed to install one specific scientific package out from "testing" and therefor added a line to "source.list" to be able to use packages also found in "testing".
It then should be possibble to install the one wanted extra package by using "apt-get install packagename/testing".
Now, what will happen when I try to use the command "apt-get update", followed  by "apt-get upgrade": the system surely wants about 130 (or even more) packages to upgrade. So, I denie following on with upgrading, when ask for it by the "apt-get upgrade" -procedure.
I change "sources.list" again and remove the entry "testing" and only let apt use "stable" and "stable/updates" again.
Now, how should I upgrade WOODY with the "stable" and "security" stuff regulary, but also let "apt-get" look for new upgrades of this one package out of "testing" the same time? Where Do I find simple documentation for my problem? What kind of entries to write into which apt-configuration files ( I only now about the meanings of sources.list, up to now? What else to notice, when trying to do such a thing?

Thanks very much, a GNU/Linux and DEBIAN 3.0 novice,
Marco Moeller
GERMANY
moeller@mail.uni-mainz.de