Re: Packagaing nouveau firmware

On 2010-03-29 03:36 +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 18:43 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> Followed by the text of the actual license.  Since Nvidia does not
>> distribute the files themselves and their license only allows
>> redistribution of unmodified files, it seems that if the files are
>> copyrightable they are also undistributable, but I'm no legal expert.
>
> I think this is legally risky and ftpmaster will probably not allow it.

Yeah.  I'll mention this problem in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau's
README.Debian and include a script to download and install the firmware.

>> An alternative to the nouveau-firmware package would be to backport
>> Marcin Kościelnicki's ctxprogs generator that is included in 2.6.34.
>> It generates the GPU initialization data on the fly, so no firmware is
>> needed.
>
> Right, I think we may have to do that.

Actually, that generator is only for NV50 cards (for NV40 cards there is
already a generator in 2.6.33), which is what I have here.  I don't know
if there are any other supported cards which still need external
firmware.

Commit d5f3c90d4f3ad6b054f9855b7b69137b97bda131 is what you would need
to cherry-pick.  I applied this to the 2.6.33.1 kernel, and the result
seems to work fine (I'm using it right now).  This also gets rid of any
MODULE_FIRMWARE stuff, making it possible to include nouveau.ko in the
intitramfs without hitting #575241. :-)

Sven