Re: setting HAL properties on the fly

Hi Timo,

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 02:16:23AM +0200, Timo Aaltonen wrote:

> 	Hi
>
>   I've been trying getting a HAL script to work, but it has some strange
> issues. The idea would be to use the script to get the layout etc. from
> the system, and then use hal-set-property to set the values for the
> current device. First of all, h-s-p fails because hald is not ready, and
> if I add 'sleep' or similar to wait for hald, it doesn't run any
> remaining commands after that...

Sorry it took so long to get to this, but I've finally started to take a
look at it.

I've started to look at an optional method of doing this transparently in
the server itself. My sense is that the server should prefer the setting in
xorg.conf to the one given by hal, if there is such a setting. I think I
can make this happen, but I need a little more time to figure out how to
write the patch, and then to actually do it. Hopefully all in this week.
That'll give us a more universal solution that doesn't rely on packaging
hacks. If I can't make this happen, then I'll work with your script and
help debug it so we can use it.

On the other hand, we will need to come up with a good solution for new
installs if we go with the in-server method. I don't know what that'll
involve yet, since I'm hesitant to put the scripting in to the hal
packaging.

 - David Nusinow