Re: Analysis On Getting Rid Of xresprobe

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, David Nusinow wrote:

Potential Issues:
 What we can assume from all this is that the drivers will call DDC on their
own, so why should we care about having xresprobe do it during the install?
Indeed, I've checked over several of the drivers and almost all of them
do use the DDC information during the PreInit. Of the various drivers that
are special-cased in the postinst, savage, trident, tdfx, via,
siliconmotion, chips, neomagic, ati/r128, and i810 all do use DDC. s3 does
not, and nv and riva do not either (although g80 is randr1.2). So for the
vast majority of chips that are special-cased for xresprobe they do use
DDC. nv is an obvious issue, but it's actively maintained and we should be
able to get bugs fixed. For newer chips, nv will not be a problem, as it's
ported to randr1.2.

There's a bug open about vmware (*), which seems to default to low hsync/vrefresh values (or is it the server?). You end up with 800x600... Maybe the driver could be patched to use 1024x768 by default? It doesn't seem to use any DDC probing.

* https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/172821