High instability matrox Xorg 6.8.2 kernel 2.6.14

Hello,

I have Xorg 6.8.2 and a matrox G550 AGP. Since the last upgrade of Xorg in unstable (which, alas for the gods of Debugging, happened to be at the same time as my upgrade to kernel 2.6.14), my screen sometimes freezes (well, always freezes, but unpredictably).

jcdubacq@penpen:~$ LANG=C apt-cache policy xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg:
  Installed: 6.8.2.dfsg.1-10
[...]
jcdubacq@penpen:~$ uname -r
2.6.14-1-686

The machine otherwise works perfectly. The Xserver even responds (I can contact the X server). It's just that keyboard input and screen output is frozen.

Has anybody already seen anything resembling to those symptoms? Any hint? Btw: I one saw the freeze while operating through VNC, and the Xserver really got frozen. Installing the matrox proprietary drivers (v4.2) did not change anything. Using local socket communication "seems" to increase the risk of freezing.
--
JCD, trying to debug