debug version of loadable server

In an attempt to debug a lingering problem w/xfree86 and the nvidia drivers we've been using, I have been trying to build a debug version of the xserver-xfree86 executable that will load our nvidia modules. The static one in xserver-xfree86-dbg won't do the trick, because the problem does not surface with the nv driver. So I downloaded the source and tried to build a version of the debug server with DoLoadableServer=YES in the SERVERDEBUG_IMAKE_DEFINES, but it choked trying to load the base modules (module does not exist, 0), even though they are in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules (though I didn't alter anything else in the build process, so I definitely could have missed telling it where to look). I am (probably apparent) a novice with the debian build system and IMAKE, so I'm hoping someone more familiar with this code base could point me in the right direction. Please CC me on any response, as I do not subscribe to this list...many thanks,

Zach Shubert (dzs@cs.brown.edu)