Re: [request for help] lablgl && xorg

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 01:48:57PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> lablgl (OpenGL bindings for OCaml) FTBFS with X.org, in order to make it
> build properly I made the following changes to the package (already
> committed in svn):
>
>    * debian/Makefile.config
>      - added -lXxf86vm to XLIBS, fixes FTBFS with xorg
>    * debian/control
>      - added build-dep on libxxf86vm-dev
>      - added dep from -dev to libxxf86vm-dev
>
> Without the -lXxf86vm the linker failed complaining about a missing
> symbol (XF86VidModeQueryVersion IIRC).
>
> I will be grateful to people of the X strike force if they can comment
> on my changes: are them completely dumb or are them indeed needed for
> properly rebuild packages against X.org?

You've hit on the xlibs-static-* issue. libxxf86vm was previously a static
library in the xlibs-static-* packages. For X.Org, it was split out as a
proper shlib (along with others) but I neglected to add dependencies for it
to xlibs-dev. This will be fixed in the upcoming -5 release, but to echo
what the other David has said, you should be build-depending on the
individual libraries rather than the xlibs-dev package. That'll save you
the trouble when we do remove xlibs-dev in the future.

 - David Nusinow