Re: request for volunteers: xfree86 woody, xfree86 sarge, and xorg-x11 uploaders

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 03:13:19AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> xorg-x11:
> 	This is of course the Big Kahuna.  Daniel Stone, who maintains
> 	X.Org X11 packages for Canonical Software (makers of Ubuntu) has
> 	been in touch with me via IRC, and since he and I have different
> 	ideas about the best way forward, I think it's best that I not try
> 	to characterize his position.  I invited him to post his thoughts
> 	to the list once I wrote this mail.

Pedant point: Canonical Ltd; we sponsor Ubuntu, rather than 'create' it.
There is a community of volunteers (and employees of other companies)
doing excellent work within Ubuntu.

> 	My current thinking is to continue in the direction we've been
> 	going in the xorg-x11 repository.  Ubunutu's packages can be
> 	imported on to a branch, and appropriate bits merged from there.
> 	(Because of things like Drew Parsons taking over xprint, and xprint
> 	not being built by xorg-x11, we can't just drop the Ubunutu X
> 	packages into Debian unstable without basically hijacking xprint
> 	from Drew, which I would oppose.)

I think this is a bad idea for me personally, because I do not, and
almost certainly will not, have commit access to this repository.
Obviously, this significantly raises the bar to contribution, and lowers
the incentive.

> 	One thing Daniel and I did agree upon was that Debian should become
> 	Canonical's source for X packages again.  How fast that can/should
> 	happen is another question.

I would like that diff to be as small as possible, yes, but I am not
willing to do this unconditionally.  My overriding concerns are still to
do with the quality of the packages, and providing excellent, working
packages.  While it would be utterly fantastic if we had a single,
unified set of packages, it would not be worthwhile if it resulted in a
loss of quality.

> 	I will say that until testing-proposed-updates and testing-security
> 	are online, I strongly discourage uploading xorg packages of any
> 	kind to unstable.  We do not want to wall ourselves off from being
> 	able to make updates to the xfree86 packages that will be in sarge.

Agreed.

> In the long run, of course, the monolithic sample implementation tree will
> cease to exist.

Mercifully.

> Josh Triplett has expressed an interest in, and had been doing some
> work at freedesktop.org upstream on, packaging the xlibs[4].

I have also been packaging these, and really need to get back to Josh.
But I have full package of all the libraries, et al, and am working on
a smooth transition from the xorg packages to the modular tree by slowly
kicking binary packages from xorg to modular source packages.  So far
I've got the Xproto and XExtensions modules ($(prefix)/include/X11/*.h
and most of include/X11/extensions/*.h) broken out, and am just rolling
through all the others.

I've been blissfully ignoring work in favour of working upstream on the
X server (build system, mainly) during my week off, and have no real
intention of doing anything useful this week, in terms of packaging.

> If ever you wanted to get your hands dirty with the X Strike Force, now
> would be a great time to step forward.  :)

I do not believe this is personally meaningful to me without commit
access; without it, all I can really do is lurk and submit the
occasional patch to the BTS or something.