Re: problem with left-handed mouse on X - is GPM to blame or is it X?

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 12:29:35PM +0300, Martin-?ric Racine wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Given how everyone in this family is left-handed, I recently got around
> inverting the order of the mouse buttons in GPM; works great in console.
>
> Since GPM is setup as a repeater for X, I thought that X would also end up
> defaulting to inverted button order, but it doesn't.
>
> repeat_type=raw
> type=imps2

> Section "InputDevice"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
> EndSection

<impolite rant removed>

This is user error.

The raw repeat type is something that I am beginning to think is more of
a bug then a feature, it does a byte for byte repeat, making no changes
to the byte stream.

Further more, it seems to be most commonly used with the PS/2 protocols,
which, is another rant about two-way communications on a FIFO.

Kill the repeat type, have X read from /dev/input/mice as well, and use
xmodmap in your ~/.xsession.

--
	1024D/E65A7801 Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@babylon.d2dc.net>
	   92ED 94E4 B1E6 3624 226D  5727 4453 008B E65A 7801