Possible bug

I might have a bug, but I wanted to ask some info gathering questions to
see if it might just be me misconfiguring my box.  I have Rage 128 and
just recently upgraded to Sarge. Running xserver-xfree8 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4,
Viewsonic E40 setup with Advanced option for syncing in
dpkg-reconfigure.

The problem is that the xserver ignores the bottom ~24 pixels of the
screen.  It doesn't want to draw anything down there but the
background.  GDM seems unaffected as well as the vt's.

Is this just a 'testing software' setup thing, or can I find info in a
specific area to put together an informed bug report?

Thanks for the help,
Russ