Problems with (unwanted) utf-8 and xterm 4.3.0-7, maybe a bug in xterm... or mutt... or just PEBKAC

Good morning,

I'm not sure, if this is a wanted feature (why?), or a PEBKAC, but I
didn't found any hints in the list archive, or in the NEWS.Debian.

Since I updated my sarge system today and got xterm 4.3.0-7 I have
strange problems with my locales. While using xterm 4.2-whatever I had
"de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro" as my locale. Well, and then came 4.3.0-7, and
I always have de_DE.utf-8.

I don't have any LC_ALL=xyz or something like that in my configuration
files, beside an "LANG=de_DE@euro" in /etc/environment, and I choose
"de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro" in my login manager (gdm 2.4.1.7-1).

I wouldn't care, if it would work, but for one reason I have some
troubles with my mutt, which doesn't display all characters (äöüÄÖÜ)
correctly, e.g. in this screenshot:
http://www.cs.uni-frankfurt.de/~schmehl/utf-8.png (the "ä" in the Date
on the left side is displayed as column, while the "ä" in the subject of
the second mail is displayed correctly).

I'm a little bit confused; you normaly do a so good job, that I don't
need to care about such things, since it just works ;-)

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander