problems with debian/rules checksource in 4.2.1-15

I just apt-get source xterm, which pulled in 4.2.1-15.  After a look
at the documents, I tried
 debian/rules checksource
But this ran into trouble at
Applying patch debian/patches/001a_damn_cpp_3.3_to_hell.diff...done.
Applying patch debian/patches/001b_m68k_haslinuxinput_too.diff...dry run failed.
patching file config/cf/linux.cf
Hunk #1 FAILED at 157.

I subsequently tried debian/rules source.make, but it died in the same
way.

Since the package obviously has built, I must be doing something
wrong.  Can anyone give me a hint?

That's the narrow question.  The reason I'm doing this is that my
basic xterm font is messed up (s p r e a d   o u t), and I've been
unable to track down why, or even to reproduce it with xterm -fn foo
or xterm -fa (e.g., xterm -fn fixed works OK).  I have quite a few
other font problems, and I'm hoping to figure out what's going on.  So
I was thinking of looking at, and possibly debugging, xterm to figure
out what's going on.  For example, I'm not entirely sure what font
management system vanilla xterm uses (X core, Xft1, Xft2).

If anyone has any ideas about how I might approach the larger problem
of figuring out my fonts, or the intermediate problem of just buiding
xterm for debugging, I'd be very grateful for your help.  I know
you're busy with 4.3.

My system is mostly testing, and I'm actually running 4.2.1-12.1; I
got the source from unstable.

Thanks.  If you could cc me, I'd appreciate it, though I'll be
checking the list on the web too.