Re: packaging xfree86-driver-synaptics: a couple of questions

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 08:46:49PM +0100, Mattia Dongili wrote:
> > I don't understand.  You seem to be saying that the headers you need are
> > not in the package, but also are in the package.
> >
> > "the source package needs some X headers not included in xlibs-dev"
> > and
> > "I'd set build dependency on xlibs-dev and compile against its headers"
>
> sorry for my english...
> I mean that some headers needed to compile the synaptics driver are not
> included in xlibs-dev, while other headers (also needed to compile) are.
> In my previous mail I included a treeview of the headers needed to
> compile. As you can see there are some files packaged in xlibs-dev
> (I snipped the full list) and some not.
> I'd include in the deb source only the missing headers (as provided by
> mainstream), but still compile against what's available in xlibs-dev.

I see.

> > Also, what do you mean by "mainstream package"?
>
> the original tar.gz, sorry again

Okay.  We usually call that "upstream", not "mainstream".

> > > Another option could be to create another xfree86-driver-dev to let
> > > external drivers compile. Which solution?
> >
> > I think the headers in question will probably end up in the
> > xfree86-driver-ddk package, which is slated for development after
> > 4.3.0-1 is released.
>
> In the meantime is my approach ok?

Yes.  I don't think it's ever a problem to include private copies of
header files you might need when they're not provided by a package.  For
Linux kernel headers this is actively encouraged, to the point of
dragging people into it kicking and screaming.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If God had intended for man to go
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     about naked, we would have been