Re: Fatal server error with 4.3.0.1 on PB G4 17 w/nVidia GeForce4 440 Go 64M

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 05:05:31PM -0500, Barry Hawkins wrote:
> 	I am currently plodding through a hellish time trying to get X up on
> 	a  17" PowerBook G4 1GHz, which has an nVidia GeForce4 440 Go 64M.  Per
> guidance on the debian-powerpc list, I am using the 4.3.0.1 packages in
> the experimental area.  The packages were installed using dselect, and
> the dependencies worked out fine and seemed to install without issue.
> 	However, I ended up without a startx script,

Did you install xbase-clients?  That's where the startx file lives.  If
you installed it but that file was not unpacked, you have likely
uncovered a bug in dpkg.

> which was my first
> concern.  The log messages that seemed most significant were:
>
> <snip>
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type:
> MOUSE)
> Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Well, this has nothing to do with your segfault.

Are you perhaps experiencing the problem reported in:

http://bugs.debian.org/222214

?

> 	Google showed several messages, some back in March 2003 that
> 	mentioned  the "XKB keymap" keywords, and they turned out to be package
> errors  that were corrected.

"Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap" is a highly
generic message.  It is issued if the XKB keymap cannot be loaded for
*any* reason.  There are unfortunately many ways that can happen.  (User
clobbered /etc/X11/xkb, user misconfigured his X keyboard settings,
xkbcomp segfaulted, the directory xkbcomp writes to isn't writable,
etc.)

>  I went over dselect's listings to check for
> errors and uninstalled dependencies, but everything looked alright.

Just FYI, unsatisfied dependencies seldom explain segmentation faults.

> 	I have appended my XFree86.0.log and XF86Config-4 to the bottom of
> this message.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I can only surmise that you have found a bug in the XFree86 nv driver.

You may wish to install xserver-xfree86-dbg instead and attach a gdb
process to it so that you can see what happens when it crashes.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |         De minimis non curat lex.