Re: Debian support of ATI video cards

On Fre, 2002-12-06 at 03:57, James R. Van Zandt wrote:

> Maybe I should get an NVidea card after all.  I understand there are
> no open-source accelerated drivers, but there are binary drivers, and
> I see we have these packages:
>
>  nvidia-glx-src - NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
>  nvidia-kernel-src - NVIDIA binary kernel module

Your choice, but similar packages might appear for ATI's drivers, which
are rather new.

As for support for ATI chips, I'd say only Radeons matter today. Here's
an overview of what the free drivers support:

XFree86 4.2.0: 2D support up to 8500, 3D support up to 7500

My packages: 2D support for all chips (AFAIK), 3D support up to 9000

XFree86 4.3.0: Probably same as my packages