Re: # Re: Gatos deb's (was: Re: xfree86 4.2.0-0pre1v3 (source,i386)available at the X Strike Force)

On 25 Aug 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:

>> >Are there any plans for integrating gatos 2d aacceleration into the xfree6
>> >project's next debian release.
>>
>> Radeon 2D acceleration is implemented in two different ways.  The
>> first method, MMIO, is used when DRI is disabled.  The second
>> way, uses the Radeon CP engine, and is only used when DRI is
>> enabled.
>>
>> The problem though, is that the CP engine 2D code was not as
>> fully implemented as the MMIO code was, so earlier XFree86
>> releases will show a slowdown in 2D acceleration when DRI is
>> enabled.  XFree86 4.2.0 has the situation improved slightly, but
>> it still isn't up to par with the MMIO code.  Michel Daenzer has
>> implemented a bit more of the CP 2D code in DRI-CVS, which brings
>> the CP 2D code much closer to the level of the MMIO codepath.
>
>In fact, on the reinit-0-0-1-branch in DRI CVS, I've brought it up to
>par (in terms of accelerated operations - the CP is faster of course :).
>I hope this will get into 4.3.0.

Fantastic!

>> I've got a patch for 4.2.0 to add the latest code, however it was
>> reported as not fully working so I disabled it until I have time
>> to debug/troubleshoot.
>
>Can you be a bit more specific than 'not fully working'?

Not currently..  I put the patch in, and did a build..  I got
internal complaints X was broken shortly after, so I disabled the
patch and rebuilt.  Haven't had time to investigate it since.  If
I get time though, I'll provide feedback.  It could be something
I screwed up backporting it.

>> If anyone wants a copy of the patch, let me know and I'll put it up on FTP.
>
>I'd be interested to see the patch if there are problems with it.

Sure thing..

ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/bleeding-edge/XFree86/4.2.0-67/raw-sources-patches-specfile/

The patch is:

XFree86-4.2.0-ati-radeon-cp-colorexpansion-imagewrite-enhancement.patch

Thanks Michel,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,