Re: ITITP: xprint (X.org)

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 03:54:06AM +0200, Roland Mainz wrote:

> The name "xprint-xorg" may be slighly misleading since it is not based
> on the plain X.org source; I am using a tree based on the X.org tarballs
> with tons of my own patches to get the little monster working...
>
> What about "xprint-xprintorg" ? :)

OK, we can call it that, then :)

> > say Xprt-xfree86 and
> > Xprt-xorg, and use alternatives to select which one will be Xprt.
>
> Mhhh, do yuo mean that you want to make /usr/X11R6/bin/Xprt a softlink
> to the real binary ? That may be a solution...
> ...but to be honestly... having the a broken Xprt binary around screams
> for trouble... I do not feel good with having two binaries around - one
> working, one broken...

Yes, alternatives are a Debian technique used to create symlinks to one of a
set of alternative binaries.  For instance, /usr/bin/editor is set up to
point to vim, but it could point to emacs or jed or nano instead.

But once I've got the preliminary package ready, I'll discuss with Branden
and others some more about whether it would be better, as you suggest, to
have xprt-xprintorg conflict with xprt.

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A